A night of celebration in Mayfield Community School
The night opened with a musical performance celebrating the theme of student success and achievement right across student life and this theme carried through the evening. Guest of honour on the night, past pupil. Professor Susan Rafferty-McArdle from University College Cork, remembered her own attendance at Gradam as a student and shared her story of life in Mayfield Community School. Dr. Rafferty-McArdle spoke with fond memories of her
teachers, her involvement in the Students Council, the school bank and the hockey team. She encouraged all the Gradam nominees to get fully involved in all that Mayfield Community School has to offer today.
Mr. Golden, school Principal, welcomed the invited guests, parents and Gradam nominees with the great news that 84% of the class of 2017 are now in Third Level and Further Education. The other 16% are in employment. Mr. Golden paid tribute to invited guest, Mr John Murphy, the first Principal in Mayfield Community School and assured him that his educational vision lives on every day in the school.
The night celebrated what Mayfield Community School offers to the students. Sporting achievements were recognised in hurling, soccer, rugby, rowing and gymnastics. Top results were acknowledged in the Junior and Leaving
Certificate. Excellence in the many subjects on offer were rewarded.
Special awards were given to Kyle Crowley, second year, who is playing with the Cork under 14 hurling squad, Leona O’Dwyer who won the European Championships in 16kg kettlebells and to Connor Morrissey who represented
Munster in the under 18 inter-provisional championships. Breaking news on the night was that Connor has been selected to play with the Ireland under 18 rugby team.
Kieran Golden, school Principal, brought the night to a close, sharing with the large audience in attendance that the night was a great opportunity for the school community to come together to celebrate what is best in our school.